Butternut Squash Falafel
Updated: Sep 30, 2019
Isn't it fun when inspiration hit and you just go with it? I love a good adventure and that sometimes includes a creative adventure in the kitchen.
I don't often get super experimental with food because we have a large family (hello mom of 4 boys here) and can't afford to be throwing anything away, you know what I mean?
But, I saw a heaping bowl of leftover roasted butternut squash and decided to do something about it. Something other than the typical Buddha Bowl or soup.
I have a deep love for Mediterranean food. What's not to love?! It's light and fresh and good in all seasons. I seriously could stand in traffic in the hot southern sun, and spin a sign all day for that stuff.
Since we have been weaning off meat even more lately, I wanted to do something that would honor our current goals , all while giving a proper nod to my beloved cuisine.
Butternut Squash Falafel was born. It has all the spices befitting of falafel, all the crunch and color you would want, and a delightful side of Lemon Tahini sauce for good measure and all the dipping joy.
You guys, I flipping love when a simple experiment exceeds my expectations, don't you?!
I even gifted a cup of these beauties to a dear friend and she was sure to tell me how much she loved them! It really is a high compliment when others enjoy your food.
Give them a try! I would love to hear your thoughts, and anything you tried differently!
Butternut Squash Falafel
1 cup organic almonds
1/2 cup organic pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup organic walnuts
4 tbsp organic flaxseed meal
4 tbsp *falafel spice blend (see below)
1 cup roasted butternut squash
1 tbsp lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp organic ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground pepper
2 tbsp organic flaxseed meal
2 tbsp organic hemp seeds
2 tbsp organic sesame seeds
1/2 tsp z'tar and cumin
Falafel Spice Blend
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp z'tar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
Lemon Tahini Sauce
4 tbsp organic tahini
3 tbsp filtered water
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt + pepper to taste
1/4 -1/2 tsp agave (or honey if not vegan) to taste
Make it Work:
1. Process nuts, seeds and spices in a food processor until finely ground.
2. Add the butternut squash, lemon juice (or ACV) and process by pulsing first, until well combined.
3. Combine the Crumb Coating mixture in a bowl and set aside.
4. Using a Tablespoon measurer or small cookie scoop, portion out small balls, hand roll them, then roll them in the crumb mixture and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake the falafel at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until they are just a bit crisp on the outside.
6. Whisk the ingredients for the Lemon Tahini dressing and set aside.
7. Serve falafel warm or cool, with a side of the dressing, my Kale Apple Salad, or on your favorite GF wrap with some sprouts and vegan Ranch.
Be Healthy. Live Beautifully.